The title is the first sentence from Ross McKitrick's fine essay from 2009 spelling out just what a rotten thing Earth Hour is. Here it is in full (original here)
Human Achievement Hour has been proposed by the CEI in the States as a replacement for Earth Hour itself. That adds a little more cachet to merely leaving your lights on and going about your ordinary routine which is what I tend to do.
'Things you can do at 8.30 on Saturday:
- Turn on all the lights you can find (bonus points for incandescents from the stash.)
- Put on the party lights, the patio light, the pool light, the mozzie zappers, unpack those Christmas decorations. Get out your torches. Switch the movement detector spotlights to continuous operation. (Involve the kids — they love to help).
- Light your backyard with the landcruiser headlights! (Don’t flatten the battery, make sure you keep that engine running.)
- Don’t forget those bar radiators — revel in that infra red! (Light the kitchen with the ones in the oven and grill.)
- Eat Argentinian Lamb steak, Danish butter, Argentinian Cheese, Belgian Chocolate, and Californian Oranges.
- Drink German Beer and or French Champagne. Drink toasts to coal miners, oil rig workers, and power station staff.