'The core alarmist proponents only comprise a few dozen, mostly third-rate, academics whose scientific reputations are minimal outside of climate alarmism. They co-opted the niche, little known interdisciplinary field of climatology, proclaimed themselves to be the world authorities, declared a global crisis, received lavish funding to research it and gained global attention. They have been aided and abetted by sundry fellow travelers who see advantage for various other agendas.'
Wednesday, 12 November 2014
Background briefing for climate teachers: false prophets and false prophecies from the cult of CO2 alarmism
Friday, 17 October 2014
Climate change 'prophets, and projectors, and half-instructed meteorologists': the press found them amusing back in 1871
Monday, 13 October 2014
Sacrificing Children for a Better Climate: the Aztecs used knives to kill them quickly; we take longer by depriving them of energy, food, and hope – but we do get more victims in the end.
|Great Insights into the Eco-Scourge|
The picture on the right is from the same video. It shows the burning of dung, the renewable energy source that causes so much air pollution and waste of fertiliser in the developing world.
(3) A Modern Aztec Sacrifice: Xiuhtezcatl Martinez, who has lost his childhood
The above paragraph is taken from the start of a penetrating article by Rachelle Peterson called 'How Radicals Hijacked Environmentalism'. She goes on to note:
'The new cult of Aztec sustainability was on display at the People’s Climate March of September 21, where a contingent of would-be Aztecs drummed and danced their way down Sixth Avenue with a float decorated with sculpted human skulls.'
'Sustainability', she further notes, is now 'a big tent that shelters social and political agendas along with environmental ones. Social justice, managed economies, fair trade, gender neutrality, and racial diversity are just a few of the other movements that find ideological homes under the banner of “sustainability.” Anti-colonialism is only the latest to join these ranks.'
She concludes with a caution:
'Perhaps the real “colonialism” that activists should eye is sustainability itself. The broader the sustainability movement becomes, the more aggressive it becomes in shoehorning parallel social movements into its mold. In that sense, the Aztec imagery is apt. The Aztecs were one of the New World’s most successful imperial powers and succeeded in dominating all the native peoples of central Mexico for a time. Strangely enough, however, they proved unsustainable. Their other indigenous peoples of Mexico jumped at the chance presented by the arrival of a small contingent of well-armed Europeans to put an end to the Aztec empire. Xiuhtezcatl might at some point take some time out from his advocacy work to study some history.'
Steve Goddard has more illustrations of Aztec practices, ancient and modern, here:
(4) 'Sustainable Development' = 'Suppressed Development'
The list of harms caused by self-styled 'environmentalists' or 'radicals' or would-be 'guardians' is very large. Here is a listing of what may only be part of it: 'The Legacy of the Environmental Movement'. Here are the sub-headings at that location:
'Prolonged Psychological Fear Based on Unfounded/Distorted Claims'
'Needless Death of over 30 Million Innocent Young Children'
'Loss of a Dependable Electrical Infrastructure'
'Dependency on Foreign Oil and Higher Fuel Prices'
'The Agents of Fear'
'Development of the "Precautionary Principle" into a Fear Distortion Tool'
'Taking of Property without Just Compensation (Private Lands)'
'Endangered Species Act'
'Tying National Security Up in Knots'
'Eliminating or Weakening Flood Prevention Systems (Dams, Levies)'
'Depriving Workers of Their Livelihood'
'The Law of Unintended Consequences'
'The Destruction of Credible Science by Promoting Junk Science'
'The Destruction of Scientist who disagree with the Environmental Agenda'
'Promoting a Small Utopian World for the Elite through a Population Control Agenda (Isn't this called Genocide?)'
'Sponsor of Terrorism in the Name of the Environment'
'School Indoctrination: Driving Fear into the Hearts of Our Children'
So much harm. So much enthusiasm for harm. Superstition can do that. They call it 'Settled Science' in our time. It leads to great sacrifice, and great waste. Not least of our children.
Note added 17 October 2014. Will Happer, the distinguished physicist, drew attention to the Aztec analogy back in 2009: http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/physicist-compares-global-warming-craze-to-aztec-human-sacrifices
Note added 17 October 2014. Paul Driessen has more on the activities of the young boy with the Aztec name: http://capitolhilloutsider.com/mindless-green-indoctrination-of-children/
“We’re from the Earth Guardians group, and we’re working on fracking and how it’s going to affect our future and our health. So we wrote this song for all the gas companies that are putting their profits ahead of our future.”
Thursday, 2 October 2014
|Cartoons by Josh|
At school, they would have seen those graphs of relentless rising CO2 levels and rising temperatures in the last decades of the 20th century. They might well have seen propagandists such as Al Gore up a stepladder declaiming how one caused the other. They might have heard of a Dr Hansen who on a hot day in 1988 warned the world of those relentless rises.
They could well have seen the MBH hockey stick plot of temperatures published in 1998, and widely promoted by campaigners including the IPCC for some years. It was a contrivance of no scientific merit other than serving the PR needs of those intent on scaring politicians, as well as children, about how rising CO2 was dominating our climate.
Well, the CO2 has continued to rise - at rates well above some of the projections used by such as the aforementioned Dr Hansen. But here's the thing, the global mean temperature, once so widely display in reports, textbooks, press conferences, leaflets, presentations and videos, has not risen along with it.
'No matter if the science is all phony, there are collateral environmental benefits . . . Climate change provides the greatest chance to bring about justice and equality in the world.' - Christine Stewart, former environment minister in Canada
Another key insight for eco-activists is this related one:
'It doesn't matter what is true, it only matters what people believe is true.' - Paul Watson, co-founder of Greenpeace
John Christy, one of the world's decent climate scientists has noted this disgraceful and unscientific view out there: 'there is still a strong belief system that greenhouse gases control the climate, and so if that is your belief system, then it doesn’t really matter what the evidence shows.'
It encourages this sort of thing:
'The Communist Party USA’s environmental program “presents a viable plan to carry out on the long march to socialism.”' - Havel Wolf, Seattle Audubon Society
And this sort of thing:
'Are you interested in reducing your carbon footprint? How about playing a part in the survival of a virgin rain forest and the numerous species found within? Are you interested in making extra income and helping OURF raise funds in the process? If so, you can get involved in the worldwide effort to combat global warming by participating in the global carbon credit market.' - Oppor Tunistic, a fundraiser typical of many.
And even this sort of thing:
I wonder what she will be angry about eight years from now? Her parents? Her lost childhood? The harm and suffering caused by renewables? The frequent powercuts? Rotten teaching? The nightmares she had about global warming?
Meanwhile, alarmers are busy promoting more satisfactory totems for their purposes now that global mean air temperature near the surface has so badly let them down. Lubos looks more deeply into fatuous temperature targets. They are stupid targets but my goodness they served the alarmists well for decades by giving the impression we could decide on planetary temperatures merely by destroying our civilisation. 'Stupid' is too good a word for such people. Children of the Warming Scare will have been harmed by them. Perhaps as adults, they will be able to think more for themselves more, and begin to develop a calmer, more rational, and more optimistic view of their future.
(Hat-tip for the Josh cartoon: Bishop-Hill)
Tuesday, 23 September 2014
Saturday, 20 September 2014
Climate Cult Marches in New York and elsewhere on 21st September: the ill-informed and the ill-intentioned will call for more destruction
Notes added 22 September 2014 A sensible chap call Alex Epstein had his very own counterflow march in New York:
Here is an example of a child being used as a political weapon on the march in New York:
This pic and many more at: http://grist.org/climate-energy/meet-a-climate-marcher/
If you really want insight into just about anything at all, get a statistician to take a look at it. Here are some insights from Matt Briggs who took a look at the march in New York, and tried to engage with some of the marchers: http://wmbriggs.com/blog/?p=13644 Basically, he found a lot of people who did not really know what they were supporting, but came along anyway.
For the hard-left (and billionaires) at the march, see: http://donsurber.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/commies-and-billionaires-march-against.html
A report on the London march, and the mess the marchers left behind them: http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/22/Climate-March-London-Piles-of-Placards
Note added 24 September 2014 Report from the
and 'Children were encouraged to hang out in the protest’s kid-friendly zone, where they could draw their own signs promoting “revolution.”'
Friday, 19 September 2014
- As the product of infinitely wise design, omnipotent creation, and faithful sustaining (Genesis 1:1–31; 8:21–22), Earth is robust, resilient, self-regulating, and self-correcting. Although Earth and its subsystems, including the climate system, are susceptible to some damage by ignorant or malicious human action, God’s wise design and faithful sustaining make these natural systems more likely—as confirmed by widespread scientific observation—to respond in ways that suppress and correct that damage than magnify it catastrophically.
- Earth’s temperature naturally warms and cools cyclically throughout time, and warmer periods are typically more conducive to human thriving than colder periods.
- While human addition of greenhouse gases, particularly carbon dioxide (CO2), to the atmosphere may slightly raise atmospheric temperatures, observational studies indicate that the climate system responds more in ways that suppress than in ways that amplify CO2’s effect on temperature, implying a relatively small and benign rather than large and dangerous warming effect.
- Empirical studies indicate that natural cycles outweigh human influences in producing the cycles of global warming and cooling, not only in the distant past but also recently.
- Computer climate models, over 95% of which point toward greater warming than has been observed during the period of rapid CO2 increase, do not justify belief that human influences have come to outweigh natural influences, or fears that human-caused warming will be large and dangerous.
- Rising atmospheric CO2 benefits all life on Earth by improving plant growth and crop yields, making food more abundant and affordable, helping the poor most of all.
- Abundant, affordable, reliable energy, most of it now and in the foreseeable future provided by burning fossil fuels, which are the primary source of CO2 emissions, is indispensable to lifting and keeping people out of poverty.
- Mandatory reductions in CO2 emissions, pursued to prevent dangerous global warming, would have little or no discernible impact on global temperatures, but would greatly increase the price of energy and therefore of everything else. Such policies would put more people at greater risk than the warming they are intended to prevent, because they would slow, stop, or even reverse the economic growth that enables people to adapt to all climates. They would also harm the poor more than the wealthy, and would harm them more than the small amount of warming they might prevent.
- In developed countries, the poor spend a higher percentage of their income on energy than others, so rising energy prices, driven by mandated shifts from abundant, affordable, reliable fossil fuels to diffuse, expensive, intermittent “Green” energy, will in effect be regressive taxes—taxing the poor at higher rates than the rich.
- In developing countries, billions of the poor desperately need to replace dirty, inefficient cooking and heating fuels, pollution from which causes hundreds of millions of illnesses and about 4 million premature deaths every year, mostly among women and young children. To demand that they forgo the use of inexpensive fossil fuels and depend on expensive wind, solar, and other “Green” fuels to meet that need is to condemn them to more generations of poverty and the high rates of disease and premature death that accompany it.
Here, on the other hand, is another Christian leader urging his flock to join the march in New York next week, a march intended to produce even more destructive and dreadful policies ostensibly based on overblown fears about our carbon dioxide: http://blog.archny.org/index.php/peoples-climate-march/comment-page-1/
So, it is not all good!